March BOD Meeting

Wednesday, March 15, 2023 6:27 PM | DeAnne. (Dee) Wiese (Administrator)


Members Present 7


Joe Deaton

Mike Whitescarver

Dee Wiese

Rick Rowland


Kim Strickland

Ryan Weaver

Maureen Corcoran

Joe Deaton called the meeting to order.


Past, Current and upcoming events.

Joe will provide a current updated Calendar for the BOD once all events are scheduled. Joe stated that our year has started off with some great events and our outlook for the upcoming  schedule is really looking promising and full.

* Feb. 25th It was noted that the first Canvas & Corks was a huge success. 25 paid registrants participated and the event was well received with anticipation of many retuning for the next one. Dee stated the next Canvas & Corks will be much profitable since the first one got off the ground, broke even and paid for all the new materials. Dee has the next one scheduled for April 22nd. 

March 14th VMC Club Held.. No Report was provided

March 2nd Mike Whitescarver presented a report on the Builders Meeting held at Bill Hirzels and his current N3N project. Members from the Portage Valley Flying club attended contributing to approximately  35+

Sloppy Joe's, chips and salsa, soup, and beverages were served.

Bill talked about the history of the N3N, design and construction and politics behind it all. Showed and discussed some of the instrumentation of the period, along with some cool historical miniature ship identification models and very early radio set using Morse code rather than voice for communication. Answered questions throughout.


23rd- Membership Meeting

Dee has special guest speaker George Sherwood, Retired Airforce Missions Commander.  Food will be provided  (By Dee Wiese) by donations .

Dee has a guest appreciation gift for the speaker.

April 13th 

Mike announced the April Builders Meeting will be at Richard Kowalczyk's and his Quicksilver Sprint


Dee announced the next Canvas & Corks. The Theme will celebrate "Earth Day"

Hangar Updates


Joe discussed the need to update, repair and or replace shop equipment, Update to fabricate and install cabinet doors on the shop casework.

*Dee volunteered to fabricate hinged doors at an estimated $200 budget.

*Joe stated he is going to install under-counter LED lights

* Joe stated he will also install strip plug outlets along the counters.

*Ideas for new paint schemes are being discussed.

* The First aid kit needs to be inventoried and basic needs will be replenished

* A look into the current fire extinguishers and status 

*The keys and locks are to be investigated for the lockable cabinet that houses the Chapter's valuable equipment. Prop Balancer, Scales, etc.


As discussed a work party will be scheduled for updates the members can do to update paint, clean walls, build storage cabinets for chairs, tables

* A more permanent serving area is being designed by Joe and Dee to help utilize the downstairs with a functional sink, casework and serving area for use in the event we can rent our facility. 

*Dee has obtained an elevator (Platform Lift) to remove from a private residence and possibly install at the mezzanine balcony. Dee is scheduling a site visit to gather information , dimensions, and possible removal. 

*Joe is looking into an electric screen and video/Sound equipment to update the main floor use for presentations, larger meetings and events.

*Joe is in the process of updating the Hangar Main floor lighting to LEDs.

* No Update on controllable T-Stats

* No update on direction of new or updating facility cameras.


* Joe and Dee will be designing a concrete walkway from the ramp to the shelter house incorporating a pad for the grill and a firepit

* Rick Rowland brought up what the possibility is to install curtain walls on at least 3 sides of the shelter to obstruct windier days. Dee said she will stop by Toledo Tarp and bring new information to the next BOD meeting.


* Kim would like to update the planter boxes at the front of the hangar. She has a variety of planting upgrades that will require minimal maintenance. 

* Joe will have a lift available for refreshing the EAA 582 painted lettering on the hangar roof.

The Board was pleased to hear that Tony Kirk is on board and has accepted the position of Chapter "Tech Councilor"

Dee will contact Tony to update his membership. 

Kim Strickland provided the BD's with hot chicken sandwiches and dessert.

Meeting adjourned. 

© EAA Chapter 582
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software